Sunday 11 July 2010

And God saw all the things that he had made, and they were very good.

So says Genesis (1:31). It's worth recalling that God worked for six days, creating things. Without doubt, man was the cherry on the cake, as it were, but one should not forget that God made everything else, too.

Which begs the question: Where is Christian cosmology, these days?

Our Greek and Russian Orthodox brothers and sisters would cast a sideways glance at this, I think. In their eyes, Christian cosmology is alive and well, whereas it would seem that 'the cosmic dimension' has been lost in the West. I must admit, I am inclined to agree, but then if the Orthodox trace their cosmology back to the Patristic Fathers, and they are our common heritage, then it would appear the fault does seem to lie with us Catholics for letting this light go out.

In my own small way, I hope to address that issue.

Cosmology will form a considerable component of this blog, and will shape many of the posts I make here. My primary reference will be St Maximus the Confessor, a bright star in the Patristic firmament, and to my mind a Doctor of the Tradition. He has bequeathed us a complete and luminous cosmological theology, and I will be referring to it often.

Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment